2001 Jul 31:
Ishmail-2.1.0 is released.
What Is Ishmail?
Ishmail is a graphical mail reader for Unix systems. In addition to features
you would expect in any decent GUI mail client, Ishmail:
- is based on the UNIX philosophy
- supports UNIX (mbox), mh and MMDF folder formats
- e-mail aliases (also aliases for groups of people).
- shares folders and aliases with programs such as pine, elm, Z-mail, and
- internal IMAP and POP support
- PGP support
- easy integration with procmail, fetchmail, sendmail...
- the internal editor can be configured to use emacs key bindings, or you
can use an external editor
- spell checking using any external spellchecker (like ispell or Aspell)
- can pass messages to external commands
- message sorting by multiple criteria
- message threading by subject
- advanced message searching with regular expressions
- can specify patterns (using UNIX regular expressions) to look for in message
headers, then take action when a match is found. Each pattern can have a different
action. These actions include:
- Automatically file the message in a specific folder (mail filtering)
- Run an alert command (for example, play a specific sound).
- Display a specific icon pixmap. extremely customizable: select your own
- shortcut keys, buttons, colors, just about anything
Ishmail was originally developed as a commercial product by H & L
Software. In May, 1999, H & L dropped the product and released the
source code under the
GNU General Public License. As of this writing, the original
H & L website, www.ishmail.com,
is still in operation.
Kevin Remhof began maintaining a separate website for Ishmail, but
no significant progress was made with the program.
In early 2000, Kenneth Herron and
independently began to work with Ishmail. The two made contact after
Evgeny started a Sourceforge
project for the program, and two decided to proceed with Evgeny's
source code base.
Ishmail is written almost entirely in C++, with some C. Ishmail requires X11,
XPM, and either Lesstif
The Ishmail build system uses Autoconf.
The Sourceforge Ishmail
Ishmail Frequently Asked Questions
The latest release: ishmail-2.1.0.tar.gz
H & L's Ishmail documentation